Virtual private networks like NordVPN, ExpressVPN, and CyberGhost serve several legitimate uses in today’s world, including offering us a more secure connection to the web. As an end user, you probably quite like more privacy on an internet that tracks us a hundred different ways.
However, like most things, VPNs can be abused by spammers and scammers alike. Online posts, accounts, and ecommerce are all vulnerable to attackers hiding behind VPNs. Our service will detect visitors who have accessed your website.
Stop Spammers Premium deploys intelligent IP analysis from an open source codebase. With our VPN detect feature added to our plugin’s options, VPN visitors are still entitled to browse your site but…
Said visitor to your website may NOT:
- Post a comment
- Create an account
- Purchase a product through your WooCommerce store
Without first disabling their VPN. To avoid confusion, VPN visitors who take one of the actions above, will receive a prompt requesting that they first disable their VPN before posting a comment, registering, or completing a purchase.
What to Expect with Stop Spammers Premium VPN Detect
- Reduction in fraud on ecommerce websites
- Actionable items only available to real users, not bots: no fake comments or accounts.
- Troll prevention or more broadly, extra security against people who are trying to bypass an existing ban
All in all, we are very excited about this feature launch. We have configured the system to block where there’s a score of greater than .99 (translation the IP address is most likely a proxy). If the VPN detection functionality becomes a hit, we may update the feature so that the score threshold can be configurable. Let us know in the comments if that’s something you’d like to see.
Credit goes to the following:
- My fiance who gave me the idea after brainstorming more ways to offer website owners better protection against the baddies
- GetIPintel for their open source codebase and their server we ping to verify IPs on your website.